War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
Environmental Exposures and Other Scientific Publications
- Rusiecki JA, Denic-Roberts H, Thomas DL, Collen J, Barrett J, Christenbury K, Engel LS. (2022). Incidence of chronic respiratory conditions among oil spill responders: Five years of follow-up in the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Coast Guard Cohort study.
Environmental research. 2022 Jan 1;203:111824.*
- Tanwar V, Adelstein JM, Grimmer JA, Youtz DJ, Katapadi A, Sugar BP, Falvo MJ, Baer LA, Stanford KI, Wold LE (2018). Preconception Exposure to Fine Particulate Matter Leads to Cardiac Dysfunction in Adult Male Offspring.
J Am Heart Assoc. 7(24):e010797. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.118.010797. Erratum in: J Am Heart Assoc. 2019 Apr 16;8(8):e002293.*
- Falvo MJ, Helmer DA, Klein JC, Osinubi OY, Ndirangu D, Patrick-DeLuca LA, Sotolongo AM. Isolated diffusing capacity reduction is a common clinical presentation in deployed Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with deployment-related environmental exposures.
Clin Respir J. 2018 Feb;12(2):795-798.*
- Sandroff BM, Wylie GR, Sutton BP, Johnson CL, DeLuca J, Motl RW. Treadmill walking exercise training and brain function in multiple sclerosis: Preliminary evidence setting the stage for a network-based approach to rehabilitation.
Mult Scler J Exp Transl Clin. 2018 Feb 21;4(1):2055217318760641. *
- Gorr MW, Falvo MJ, Wold LE. Air Pollution and Other Environmental Modulators of Cardiac Function.
Compr Physiol. 2017 Sep 12;7(4):1479-1495.*
- Chen Y, Hill HZ, Lange G, Falvo MJ. Salivary Mitochondrial DNA Copy Number Is Associated With Exercise Ventilatory Efficiency.
J Strength Cond Res. 2017 Jul;31(7):2000-2004. *
- Falvo MJ, Osinubi OY, Sotolongo AM, Helmer DA. Airborne Hazards Exposure and Respiratory Health of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans.
Epidemiol Rev. 2015 Jan 14.*
- Farmer SA, Nelin TD, Falvo MJ, Wold LE. Ambient and household air pollution: complex triggers of disease.
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2014 Aug 15;307(4):H467-76.*
- McAndrew LM, Teichman RF, Osinubi OY, Jasien JV, Quigley KS. (2012). Environmental exposure and health of Operation Enduring Freedom/Operation Iraqi Freedom veterans.
J Occup Environ Med, 54(6):665-9. *
- Quigley KS, McAndrew LM, Almeida L, D'Andrea EA, Engel CC, Hamtil H, Ackerman AJ. (2012). Prevalence of environmental and other military exposure concerns in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom Veterans.
J Occup Environ Med, 54(6):659-64.*
- Santos SL, Helmer D, Teichman R. (2012) Risk communication in deployment-related exposure concerns.
J Occup Environ Med, 54(6):752-9.*
- Tang, CY, Carpenter, DM, Eaves, EL, Ng, J, Ganeshalinam, N, Weisel, C, Qian, H, Lange, G, & Fiedler, NL. (2011). Occupational solvent exposure and brain function: an fMRI study.
Environmental Health Perspectives, 119(7), 908-913. Epub Feb 4. *
- Dalager NA, Kang HK, Mahan CM. (2000). Cancer mortality among the highest exposed U.S. atmospheric nuclear test participants.
J Occup Env Med, 42:798–805.*
- Kang HK, Bullman TA, Mahan CM. (2000). A mortality follow-up study of WW II submariners who received nasopharyngeal radium irradiation treatment.
Am J Ind Med, 38:441–446. *
- Kang HK. (1996). Feasibility of an epidemiologic study of submariners who received radium irradiation treatment.
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 115:433–437.*
- Watanabe KK, Kang HK, Dalager NA. (1995). Cancer mortality risk among military participants of a 1958 atmospheric nuclear weapons test.
Am J Public Health, 85:523–527. *
- Bullman TA, Kang HK. (1994). The effects of mustard gas, ionizing radiation, herbicides, trauma, and oil smoke on U.S. military personnel: The results of veterans studies.
Annu Rev Public Health. 15:69–90.*
- Bullman TA, Kang HK. (2000). A fifty year mortality follow-up of veterans exposed to low level chemical warfare agent, mustard gas.
Ann Epidemiol, 10:333–338. *
Other Scientific Publications
- Findley, T.W. & Schleip R (2007). Fascia Research: Basic Science and Implications for Conventional and Complementary Health Care. Munchen: Elsevier Urban & Fischer.
- Janal, M., Ciccone, D., & Natelson, B.H. (2007). Sub-typing CFS patients on the basis of “minor” symptoms.
Biological Psychology, 73(2), 124-131.*
- Chow KM, Ma Z, Cai J, Pierce WM, Hersh LB. (2005). Nardilysin facilitates complex formation between mitochondrial malate dehydrogenase and citrate synthase.
Biochim Biophys Acta. May 25;1723(1-3):292-301. *
- Ma Z, Wang X, Hockman S, Snow EC, Hersh LB. (2005). Subcellular localization of nardilysin during mouse oocyte maturation.
Arch Biochem Biophys. Feb 1;434(1):187-94. *
- Ma Z, Chow KM, Yao J, Hersh LB. (2004). Nuclear shuttling of the peptidase nardilysin.
Arch Biochem Biophys. Feb 15;422(2):153-60.*
- Chow KM, Oakley O, Goodman J, Ma Z, Juliano MA, Juliano L, Hersh LB. (2003). Nardilysin cleaves peptides at monobasic sites. Biochemistry. Feb 25;42(7):2239-44. *
- Ma Z, Daquin A, Yao J, Rodgers D, Thompson MW, Hersh LB. (2003). Proteolytic cleavage of the puromycin-sensitive aminopeptidase generates a substrate binding domain.
Arch Biochem Biophys. Jul 1;415(1):80-6.*
- Ma Z, Chow KM, Csuhai E, Hersh LB. (2002). The use of proteolysis to study the structure of nardilysin.
Arch Biochem Biophys. May 15;401(2):198-204. *
- Ma Z, Csuhai E, Chow KM, Hersh LB. (2001). Expression of the acidic stretch of nardilysin as a functional binding domain.
Biochemistry. Aug 7;40(31):9447-52. *
*Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.