War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
- The War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC) is a tertiary, post-deployment, care center that partners with VA referring providers and their health care teams to support the care of Veterans. The WRIISC is part of VA’s
Health Outcomes Military Exposures office, (formerly Post Deployment Health Services).
- WRIISC provides second opinion clinical consultations for Combat, Deployed Veterans who have chronic, medically unexplained symptoms lasting greater than six months, which persist despite local workups and trials of appropriate treatments. WRIISC also provides education, risk communication, and conducts research.
- WRIISC clinical services include comprehensive multi-disciplinary evaluations, e-consults, environmental exposure assessments, and integrative health and wellness programs. WRIISC evaluations are conducted through a variety of ways including virtual tele-health and/or on-site evaluations.
- Every WRIISC consult receives an E-Consult which helps to outline the next steps in the Veteran’s care plan and may include additional WRIISC services like comprehensive multi-disciplinary evaluations, environmental exposure assessments and/or integrative health and wellness services.
Clinical Services include:
- Comprehensive Multi-disciplinary Evaluations
- Enhanced Evaluation for Airborne Hazards Concerns
- Telehealth Program for Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Veterans at WRIISC-DC
- Environmental Exposure Assessments
- Integrative Health and Wellness Services
WRIISC Eligibility and Referral Process:
Currently, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, WRIISC has increased the use of telehealth appointments for our clinical services. As part of the E-Consult, telehealth WRIISC appointments may be recommended.