War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
Comprehensive Multidisciplinary Evaluation
Every Veteran referred to the WRIISC program receives an "E-consult". One of the E-consult recommendations may be that the Veteran would benefit from a multi-day visit with our team referred to this as a comprehensive, multidisciplinary evaluation.
Who is eligible for the WRIISC Program?
- Any deployed Veteran with a complex health condition and no known cause (medically unexplained symptoms, e.g. MUS) who has been already been thoroughly evaluated by their Primary care provider but questions remain
- Any deployed Veteran that has had many tests and/or treatment with little to no symptom improvement and
- Any deployed Veteran with possible deployment-related environmental exposure problems or concerns possibly related to their health symptoms.
What services are offered?
- Comprehensive history and physical for post deployment health concerns
- Environmental Exposure Assessments
- Neuropsychiatric and Neuropsychological Evaluations
- Advanced Diagnostic Testing when clinically indicated
- Health Education related to post deployment concerns
- Integrative health and wellness tools and treatment options
- At the end of the evaluation, WRIISC providers seek to work with the referring provider to ensure recommendations are clear so that the provider can best assist the Veteran in implementing WRIISC recommendations for follow-up. In addition, a summary of the key findings is written using patient-friendly language. This is linked to the IFC so that the referring provider is flagged when it is complete.
How Can I make a referral?
Referrals to the WRIISC program may be made by the Veteran's Primary Care Provider (PCP), Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT), post-deployment health champion, or Environmental Health Provider and are done using the Inter Facility Consult (IFC) process in your local Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS).
Please review our referral page.
Who Can I Contact For More Information?
For further questions about the WRIISC Program, please contact the WRIISC clinical program coordinator at the WRIISC nearest you.
- For the CA WRIISC, this number is 1-888-482-4376.
- For the DC WRIISC, this number is 202-745-8249.
- For the NJ WRIISC, this number is 973-676-1000 ext. 2500.