War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
- Mohanty, A.F., McAndrew, L.M., Helmer, D., Samore, M.H., & Gundlapalli, A.V. (2018). Chronic Multisymptom Illness Among Iraq/Afghanistan-Deployed US Veterans and Their Healthcare Utilization Within the Veterans Health Administration (HealthViEWS).
J Gen Intern Med. DOI: 10.1007/s11606-018-4479-6.
- Nassif, T., Chapman, J., Sandbrink, F., Norris, D., Soltes, K., Reinhard, M., & Blackman, M. (2015). Mindfulness meditation and chronic pain management in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with traumatic brain injury: A pilot study.
Military Behavioral Health, 4(1), 82-89.*
- Li M, Xu C, Yao W, Mahan CM, Kang HK, Sandbrink F, Zhai P, and Karasik PA (2014). Self-reported post-exertional fatigue in Gulf War Veterans: roles of autonomic testing.
Frontiers in Neuroscience, 7:269.*
- Romesser J, Booth J, Benge J, Pastorek N, Helmer D. (2012). Mild traumatic brain injury and pain in Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom Veterans.
J Rehabil Res Dev, 49(7):1127-36.*
- Lange G, Janal MN, Maniker A, Fitzgibbons J, Fobler M, Cook D, Natelson BH. (2011). Safety and efficacy of vagus nerve stimulation in fibromyalgia: a phase I/II proof of concept trial.
Pain Med. 2011 Sep;12(9):1406-13.*
- Ciccone, D.S., Chandler, H.K., & Kline, A. (2010). Catastrophic Appraisal of Acute and Chronic Pain in a Population Sample of New Jersey National Guard Troops.
Clinical Journal of Pain, 26, 712-721.*
- Helmer, D.A., Chandler, H.K., Quigley, K.S., Blatt, M., Teichman, R., & Lange, G. (2009). Chronic widespread pain, mental health, and physical role function in OEF/OIF Veterans.
Special Issue of Pain Medicine, 10(7), 1174-82. *
- Raphael, K.G. & Ciccone, D.S. (2008). Psychological aspects of chronic orofacial pain.
In Y. Sharav & R. Benoliel (Eds.), Textbook of Orofacial Pain and Headache (UK: Elsevier Ltd.)
- Chandler, H.K., Ciccone, D.S., & Raphael, K.G. (2006). Localization of pain and self reported rape in a female community sample.
Pain Medicine, 7(4):344-352.*
- Allen K, Salgado T, Janal MN, Thompson VP. (2005). Removing carious dentin using a polymer instrument without anesthesia versus a carbide bur with anesthesia.
Journal of the American Dental Association, 136:643-651.*
- Cook DB, Lange G, Ciccone DS, Liu WC, Steffener J, Natelson BH. (2004). Functional imaging of pain in patients with primary fibromyalgia.
Journal of Rheumatology, 31:364-378. *
- Raphael K, Chandler H, Ciccone D. (2004). Is childhood abuse a risk factor for chronic pain in adulthood?
Current Pain & Headache Reports, 8: 99-110. *
- Cook DB, O'Connor PJ, Ray CA. (2000). Muscle pain perception and sympathetic nerve activity to exercise during opioid modulation.
American Journal of Physiology- Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 279: R1565-R1573.
- Cook DB. (2002). Assessing muscle pain. In V.R. Preedy ,T.J. Peters (Eds.), Skeletal Muscle: Pathology, Diagnosis and Management of Disease.
London: Greenwich Medical Media Limited, 503-512.
- Raphael K, Natelson B, Janal M, Nayak S. (2002). A community-based survey of fibromyalgia-like pain complaints following the World Trade Center terrorist attacks.
*Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Wwebsites.