War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
Our Clinical Services
OUR GOAL: Benefit Veterans through the best-matched clinical service that supports VA clinicians in providing high-quality healthcare.
We study deployment-related health conditions and publish our findings. We also have ongoing recruitment for several studies.
Our Education Services
We are a resource for information on deployment-related exposures and health conditions.
About the WRIISCThe War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC) is a national program dedicated to Veterans’ post-deployment health concerns and unique health care needs. We develop and provide post-deployment health expertise to Veterans and their health care providers through clinical care, research, education, and risk communication. As a tertiary care center, we partner with referring providers and their health care teams to support the care of Veterans. The WRIISC is part of VA’s newly designated Health Outcomes Military Exposures (HOME) formerly Post Deployment Health Services (PDHS). The VA is uniquely qualified to care for Veterans with health concerns related to potentially toxic exposures.
News and Announcements
WRIISC celebrates the passage of The Sergeant First Class (SFC) Heath Robinson Honoring our Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics (PACT) Act of 2022!. This Act includes several provisions designed to address the military environmental exposure concerns of Veterans. WRIISC continues to provide education, research, and clinical services to ensure that VA provides the best system of care to serve our Veterans with exposure concerns. We will be actively supporting implementation of this legislation. For more information about PACT provisions that affect benefits, please see www.va.gov/PACT
Telehealth Classes for Veterans
- Learn more about our Telehealth Exposure Classes
Click here for Upcoming Schedule
REGISTER for Airborne Hazards and Burn Pits: What You Need to Know
- Join iRest Yoga Nidra Meditation Phone-Based Classes Hosted by DC and CA WRIISC Facilitators
- Telehealth Program for Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Veterans offered through DC WRIISC
- Mindfulness Meditation Classes hosted by NJ WRIISC Experts
Airborne Hazards and Burn Pits Center of Excellence
- VA added nine rare respiratory cancers/three health conditions to list of presumed conditions resulting from particulate matter exposure
- Statement on COVID-19
- Cumulative report for Airborne Hazards
- Annals of the American Thoracic Society Burn Pits
- Video on the Airborne Hazards and Open Burn Pit Registry
- National Academies’ report on Airborne Hazards
- Airborne Hazards: Information for Veterans and providers
- Public Law 115-929 establishes Airborne Hazards and Burn Pits Center of Excellence
- Actively Recruiting: Telehealth Yoga Study for Treatment of Chronic Pain
- Volunteer for Research
- Research Updates
- Check out latest WRIISC Podcasts
- Check out the newly created VA and American College of Preventative Medicine (ACPM) Exposure Education Certification Program for Providers
- Check out Provider On-Demand Training on Deployment Health
- NEW!!! Military Exposure Clinical Brief Series
- 2023 WRIISC-HOME Webinar Series for Providers and Clinicians
WRIISC-HOME: VET-HOME: Who We Are and How We Serve Clinicians and Providers (Introductory)– Feb 14th at noon ET
To Register: VA employees click here.
Non-VA employees click here.
Visit here to access registration information for future webinars!
- Read our latest edition of the WRIISC Advantage Newsletter
- Check out WRIISC educational fact sheets
- Post Deployment Health’s Publications and Reports on Military Exposure
- Check out VA's A to Z list of Exposures
- Learn the latest updates on Agent Orange Exposure
- Learn more about VA Environmental Health Registry Evaluations
- Learn more about PFAS (perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances)
- Learn the latest updates on past water contamination at Camp Lejeune
*Link will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website.