War Related Illness and Injury Study Center
WRIISC Referral Process
The War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC) is an educational resource for combat Veterans, their family members and loved ones, and Veteran health care providers. Our educational programs provide information on topics ranging from environmental exposures and deployment health conditions to self management techniques for chronic health concerns.
Who is Eligible?
Veterans with possible deployment-related health conditions who have:
- complex health conditions and no known cause (medically unexplained symptoms-MUS)
- had many tests and/or treatment with little to no symptom improvement
- possible deployment-related environmental exposures problems or concerns
What is the Referral Process?
Referrals to the WRIISC program may only be made by the Veteran’s VA Primary Care Provider (PCP) and are done using the Inter Facility Consult (IFC) process in Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS). Click here for detailed instructions. After making an IFC, please call the WRIISC closest to you to ensure receipt.
VA Providers: Referrals are triaged to the appropriate regional WRIISC based on VISN location:
- CA WRIISC: VISNs 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
- DC WRIISC: VISNs 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 16, 17
- NJ WRIISC: VISNs 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, 12, 15, 23
If you are a Veteran who lives near one of the WRIISCs and are interested in participating in any of the WRIISC regional programs, please contact your regional WRIISC office for more information.
If you have any questions, please contact the WRIISC closest to you.
Who Can I Contact For More Information?
Please contact your regional WRIISC clinical program coordinator.
- For the CA WRIISC, this number is 650-493-5000 ext. 60350.
- For the DC WRIISC, this number is 202-745-8249.
- For the NJ WRIISC, this number is 973-676-1000 ext. 2500.